Basic Function for Director of Nursing:
The Director of Nursing assumes authority, responsibility, and accountability for the delivery of all nursing services in the facility. Collaborates with the facility Administration, allocates department resources in an efficient and economic manner to enable each resident to attain or maintain the highest practical physical, mental and psychosocial well-being. Collaborates with all departments, medical professionals, consultants, and organizations, including government agencies and advocacy groups to develop, support and coordinate resident care, related administrative functions, and to represent the interests of the facility.
Responsible for Reporting To:
The Administrator or Executive Director
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops, implements and evaluates annual measurable goals and objectives for the nursing department.
- Develops, implements and maintains nursing policies and procedures that meet current standards of practice and comply with state and federal regulations.
- Communicates and interprets policies and procedures to the nursing staff, and monitors staff practices and implementation.
- Actively participates in the recruitment and retention of nursing staff.
- Reviews 24 hour reports from all units on a daily basis to ensure timely and appropriate responses to significant changes in resident condition, including all incidents and accidents.
- Evaluates the work performance of all nursing personnel either directly or through delegation of other nursing leaders in the facility.
- Implements counseling and disciplinary interventions according to operational policies.
- Ensures the delivery of compassionate, quality care and nursing supervision as evidenced by adequate staffing and optimal resident functions and outcomes.
- Ensures residents’ rights are valued and protected.
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of key clinical quality indicators and proactively monitors and implements systems to achieve or exceed facility, regional and national thresholds.
- Coordinates and develops ongoing quality assurance activities for nursing services to ensure compliance with standards and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in regulatory surveys and prepares a plan of correction in response to inspection or complaint surveys as well as developing a quality action plan for any nursing deficiencies.
- Collaborates with medical professionals, consultants, community agencies and institutions to continuously improve the quality of services and resolve identified issues/problems.
- Collaborates and coordinates nursing services with all disciplines.
- Oversees staff education and in-services.
- Acts in an administrative capacity in the absence of the Administrator.
The role of Director of Nursing may require additional work hours to complete certain expectations of the job and also be “on call” for weekends and holidays to ensure supervision of staff that meet regulatory requirements.
During certain emergency situations, the Director of Nursing will be expected to report to the facility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.